BLOGGER: Tanya Patrice
When I signed up to participate in the Book Blogger Appreciation Interview Swap, I was really excited when I was partnered with Tanya Patrice of Girlxoxo. I just happen to be a blog subscriber and fan of Girlxoxo. For me, it was perfect. It provided a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the talent behind one of my favorite blogs. If you aren’t familiar with Girlxoxo, let’s remedy that…read the interview and then stop by the site to say hello to Tanya Patrice.
SWR: Tell me a bit about yourself and your blog – when and why did you start it?
The girl behind Girlxoxo.com is Tanya Patrice, a 30 something // avid reader // runner // hiker // road bike warrior // duathlon loving // wife // part-time chemistry professor // upstate NY dweller but firmly rooted in the Caribbean sand & sea (from the island of Jamaica).
In it’s present incarnation, Girlxoxo got started in October 2011 – it’s about “bookish things” as I like to say, because I don’t just do traditional book reviews – instead, I have short book discussions, thematic lists with books I’ve read or want to read, & a weekly “reading & eating” feature.
I like being a part of such a vibrant community of readers, and the creative aspect of blogging – coming up with themes, lists and graphics to match every post.
95% of the photos I take myself with a regular digital camera. The other 5% of the time, I use pictures from Flickr with a Creative Commons license that allows for use with attribution. I download free fonts from Dafont.com – and create a graphic from my photos & the font using Photoshop. I usually just crop the picture, brighten it up & sharpen the image. Then add the font. I don’t want to spend money on props, so I use whatever is at home – like kids toys – in the picture below I used some army men from the dollar store that the kids had laying around.
- and of course books make excellent props.
SWR: I also appreciate the genre hopping in your reading. Tell me your favorite zombie book, your favorite YA book, and your favorite adult fantasy book of 2012 (so far)?
Fave zombie book read during 2012: Deadline, Mira Grant
Top 2 Young Adult Books: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor
Favorite Adult Fantasy: God’s War (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #1), Kameron Hurley … really unique world.
SWR: Give me a favorite quote from a book?
I don’t keep track of quotes from books, but there is one by an author that I have on my blog which is there to remind me to DO ME and not get too caught up in what others are doing/ reading, “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.” Haruki Murakami.
SWR: Food is a big part of your blog and the Reading and Eating feature always has my mouth watering. Pair a dish to the 3 books you recently read.
The Help, Kathryn Stockett – Smothered fried pork chops with gravy – the best thing I ever ate when I lived in the South (USA) where this book was set.
A Storm of Swords, George R.R. Martin – Beef jerky & cheap box wine. I’m thinking of Jon Snow and the men on the wall … beef jerky lasts forever & everybody in this book drinks a LOT of alcohol.
Deadline, Mira Grant- Aloo Matar (Curried Potatoes & Green Peas) … anything vegetarian really. If I’m reading about zombies, or living in a world where zombies exist, I’m not going to eat meat!
Now that you’ve met Tanya Patrice, stop by and say hello!
Leave a Comment